Monday 14 May 2012

My Precious Little Folks Quilt


My Little Folks lap quilt is finally finished!  Thanks to Kelly of KelbySews, the host of My Precious quilt-a-long in encouraging quilters to make something with their precious fabrics instead of hoarding setting them aside.  I am so happy that I took the courage to cut into those precious fabrics by Anna Maria Horner.


Well I guess some of you have heard me rambled on about the piecing bit, but in the end it was sooo worth it.  I pieced the half square triangles with solid white.  I was frustrated a little when the points did not match up.  Voile has the tendency to fray if you have to rip out a seam and that happened to me a few times, but please don't let that discourage you from quilting with the voile. 



There are many beautiful quilts made from it and there were no issues so far.   It's just my lack of experience in making half square triangles and this being my first attempt in making a whole quilt with just HSTs.

The back is pieced with the leftovers from the front.




I've hand quilted using white embroidery floss - stitched 1/4" away from the seam on the white areas only as I wanted to preserve the softness of the fabric.  I bound it in Marine from the pastry line and added a thin strip of scraps placed on the top  right of the quilt.





The lightweight fabric makes it the perfect quilt considering the weather over here and I'm sure I've mentioned before how wonderfully soft they are.  It's machine washable too!  My precious lappy measures 54" x 72".




Over all I LOVE this quilt and can't wait for it to get a bit cooler ( it's been raining alot recently...woohoo ) so I can snuggle under it...




linking up with


11 comments:

  1. Good for you for using up your precious fabrics. I think we all know that feeling but it's good to overcome it. Otherwise we save it for something special, until one day we don't like it anymore or it's gone completely out of fashion (like it happened to me a few times ;). Love the quilt you've made, it's gorgeous. By the way; it's also bl.... hot here in Singapore ;). xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! I like the backing too! Nice idea to use the leftover fabric for the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum used to make this patchwork for all of our blanket, door mat, table cover and all...this brought back nostalgic memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out wonderfully beautiful! I have not used voille in a quilt but have had the fraying experience with it in garmets too! Your back is gorgeous too! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice job! You've given me inspiration.

    Visiting from Sew Many Ways "Find A Friend Friday".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt! I love the colors against the white background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa for the kind words! And thanks for stopping by too =)

      Delete
  8. I wish i had the time and patience to hand quilt. You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. I've never tried using voile. The colours are so vibrant. Your hand quilting is lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wrong, I have seen this quilt before, and LOVED it! Gah, now I wish I had done something like this with mine (although honestly I chose plain squares because I knew it would be much faster, and I am l-a-z-y!). Yours is stunning though! Quick question: I am wondering what to bind it with - is your binding voile and if so, how have you found it to be holding up?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

If you haven't allowed blogger to "show" your email address, I can only respond to you here - so please check back.